Our consensus-driven definition unifies an emerging industry and speeds our members' time to market
On December 3, 2020, to establish a foundation for future progress, the Digital Twin Consortium released the following definition:
A digital twin is a virtual representation of real-world entities and processes, synchronized at a specified frequency and fidelity.
- Digital twin systems transform business by accelerating holistic understanding, optimal decision-making, and effective action.
- Digital twins use real-time and historical data to represent the past and present and simulate predicted futures.
- Digital twins are motivated by outcomes, tailored to use cases, powered by integration, built on data, guided by domain knowledge, and implemented in IT/OT systems.
- Provides a foundation for an emerging marketplace
- Accelerates digital twin adoption
- Encourages collaboration