Digital twin-based wind farms' remote operations center improves turbine efficiency and safety.
In this sustainable energy use case, a digital twin wind farms remote operations center provides a platform for remote decision-making, enabling optimization of wind turbines and associated systems. This allows operators to monitor and predict changes without disrupting operations. The remote real-time monitoring and control improves performance, reduces maintenance costs, and enhances safety.
How it Works:
A composable digital twin enables integration of various capabilities to create a comprehensive virtual representation of the physical wind farm system.
The modular nature of the composable twin allows easy integration of new technologies and upgrades, while enabling remote decision-making for operational planning and actions. By integrating data from sensors and historical performance, the twin can predict the wind farm's behavior and identify potential issues before they occur. From there, proactive measures can be taken.
The ROC sends real-time data streams (signals) from the field:
- Collects data from wind turbines and equipment using IoT devices, sensors, and communication protocols.
- Includes an option to implement edge computing for initial data processing and filtering.
Digital twins provide visual representation for the remote operator:
- Provides an intuitive remote operations center interface with 3D models, GIS maps, and customizable dashboards.
- Displays real-time data and key performance indicators.
- The digital twin model is based on IEC 61400-25 (DTDL open-source is available on the DTC Github page).
The ROC makes real-time recommendations for operational and asset performance:
- Leverages advanced analytics, machine learning, and AI techniques.
- Generates recommendations for predictive maintenance, performance optimization, anomaly detection, and decision support.
- Optimize performance
- Improve energy efficiency
- Reduce maintenance costs.
- Enhance safety.
XMPRO intelligent digital twin technology provides the core solution underlying the wind farm use case.